Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

"Tear"ing us down?

A tear


A document I've been translating stirred my curiosity today about why we cry, and why is it that we, as women, are often accused of resorting to our "crocodile tears", to make the best out of a certain situation. I mean you've probably heard it all: women's tears are "the world's greatest water power", "stronger than any acid", and "every woman is wrong, until she cries". Confessions of a misogynistic mind, you'd ask?

First, since it's really "uncool", according to our prejudgments, to see a man crying, it turns out that women do it 64 times a year, as an average, while men just 17. (Frankly, I'd like to hear what our fellow male bloggers have to say about those 17 times! What do you say girls? Would they be able to name the top 10 times they gave up to their tears, during the past year for example?). Now let's hear what we're accused of. It seems we have figured it all out; it's mechanical: We just release a salty, protein-rich fluid from our lachrymal apparatus, improvise adjustments in the muscles of our facial expression, add a few non-specific and incomprehensible vocalizations, and convulsively inhale and exhale air with spasms of the respiratory and trunk muscle groups! Hmm, we can turn everything into art, even crying!

Now, whether those were the observations of really desperate husbands or not, and whether women cry because of lost loves, a silly romantic movie, or just because of onions, the truth is: it makes us feel better. What's more, researches have proved that emotional tears contain 20-25% more protein, including various hormones; and that a "good cry" helps in removing excess chemicals, which are not very good for the body. We live longer, have less heart problems, a more beautiful skin, because of crying. It's also a way of communication; perhaps the only way to express ourselves when words fail us, and we're only left with this call for help, attention or forgiveness. Some may call that manipulation, but all of the above show it's a perfectly healthy situation, don’t you agree? Let's not forget that if we can conquer the strongest of men with just a couple of our tears, that shows we're not the weakest human gender after all!

W ba3dein, there are a couple of historic examples worth mentioning. Yes, guys, you cry too! Indeed, Francis of Assisi is said to have gone blind from too much crying. In the 12th century epic, Song of Roland, the lords of France weep bitter tears, pull their beards and faint from grief. And then, there's always Bill Clinton who constantly manage to tear up at need (Once, notoriously, Clinton was laughing and joking with colleagues at a funeral when he noticed he was being filmed. So he immediately became serious and welled up)… Anyway, who says manly tears are something to be ashamed of? Don't you just feel like giving him a big hug, and telling him that everything will be alright in the end?

*For more information about crying and tears, check this interesting article*

Comments on ""Tear"ing us down?"

 

Blogger Zanzounito said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Thanks for sharing that enlightening information, I am going to go and have a cry right now ;)

 

Blogger callipyge said ... (9:54 PM) : 

I can't count the times I got out of nasty fights or sticky situations with tears!
Arguing with my mother about God Knows What and then bringing on the tears because things would never be this way if my dad was more involved with my life, booooooohoooo what a miserable daughter I was and my mom cries with me too and hugs me and I get away with murder.
Dropping the ex at the airport and knowing that if I dont cry, he'll give me a hard time about my lack of feelings for him. Booohoooo I am so sad he's leaving and then I smile on my way home at the coming 3 weeks of peace.
My former boss telling me my report sucked big time and booohooo I tear up in public and can't control it and this is the only time it stinks to cry.
Crying rules! Except when you can't control it and when it's my mother that does it; then it becomes a pain in the ass.

 

Blogger Delirious said ... (3:12 AM) : 

LOL Callipyge!
I envy you, you devious, calculating, machiavellian babe! :D
I wish I could booohooo at will tooooooo! Life would be so much easier!

 

Blogger IronMask said ... (7:31 AM) : 

The Observer:Big boys do cry

"The clandestine nature of manly sobbing is a modern phenomenon."


:)

 

Blogger callipyge said ... (7:35 AM) : 

Well, when you grow up hearing "Stop crying! Or I'll give you something to really cry about!", it kind of changes your perspective on the whole crying thing.

I can cry at will in most circumstances (I have to do a LOT of work of reminiscing the saddest moments of my life), but I also cry when I don't initially want to. Once they're out, I can't make them stop. Shucks.

 

Blogger Zanzounito said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Sometimes I feel like a heartless and tear-ductless person, but I rarely cry...just like callipyge has said, if I was crying for no reason...crying was prohibited..Even now, tears show weakness and for a girl who wants to show that she is strong, that would be completely detrimental!

 

Blogger Eve said ... (6:13 AM) : 

Since we're confessing and everything, you can make me watch "dead man walking" for the 1000th times, i dont know how i always manage to cry at the end! :)

 

Blogger Zanzounito said ... (4:05 PM) : 

aroundtheclock-i am sorry to hear that..kinda reminiscent of scenarios in my life

 

post a comment