Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 16, 2005

From a Lebanese-American perspective...

The other day as I was watching the funeral, a cold tear ran down my cheek. Sadly to say, I think I was crying more for Lebanon than for Gebran. Sitting on my couch, in my home, in the city of Los Angeles, in the State of California, in the United States of America, I mourned yet again for Lebanon. Despite the comfort I live in this country and the security it gives me (well, sometimes) no matter what I will always love Lebanon because it is also my country. Feeling rage, anger, sadness, and even hostility, I couldn't help but ask "when will this end?" No really, will this ever end?

I couldn't help but say to myself "This isn't fair. Why can't the Lebanese just live? This is their/our country." Maybe the answer to this is simple. Maybe it's complex. I couldn't help but notice the pictures Delirious took from the funeral. Perhaps she's right...we must take action.

Ultimately in the end, it's the power and the mass of the people who have the most power. Some just don't know it. Whether we're calling for reform in the U.S. or for justice and truth in Lebanon, in the hands of the people lies the power to change.

I leave you all with a mix of great quotes...

The Lebanese have the right to be free on their soil. - Gebran Tueni
I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves. - Ernesto Che Guevara
He who awaits much can expect little. - Gabriel García Márquez
One change always leaves the way open for the establishment of others. - Niccolo Machiavelli

By the way, we haven't been properly introduced.
Name: La La
Age: 23 in 32 days
Location: Los Angeles
Marital Status: Happily Single
Occupation: Designer & prospective law student.

Comments on "From a Lebanese-American perspective..."

 

Blogger Zanzounito said ... (7:51 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

post a comment