Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Movie Review: Zozo


Last night, I watched Zozo, a movie written and directed by Josef Fares. The movie is about a 10 year old kid living in Beirut in 1987. His grandparents moved to Sweden and him and his family were getting their papers ready to move there since warfare in the streets was accelerating. The day their papers got finalized and they were packing to leave, Zozo left the house to buy water and during that time a shell explodes in his home killing his family. Zozo walks to the aiport on his own and moves to Sweden. In Sweden, Zozo has a difficult time fitting in with the people around him and with his eccentric grandfather.

I personally liked the movie. It had me clutching to my pillow at times and at times it had me close to tears. I was disappointed with the ending. I thought it was too abrupt. Maybe I just got attached to Zozo and wanted to make sure he lives a happy life. The cinematography of the movie was beautiful and I believe Joseph Fares did an excellent job directing. Imad Kreidi, the kid who played the role of Zozo is a fantastic young actor and so is Elias Gergi, Zozo’s grandfather. His character was adorable and hilarious. I believe this is a must see movie. A movie I would not forget.

Comments on "Movie Review: Zozo"

 

Blogger Laila K said ... (7:38 AM) : 

hmmm thanks for the review, looks like a movie I would definitely like to watch

 

Blogger Eve said ... (10:32 AM) : 

I loved the movie! I think non-Lebanese cannot fully relate to it as we, Lebanese, did. and I confess: I wasn't close to tears, it was more like fountain tears :p

 

Blogger Rampurple said ... (10:58 AM) : 

laila... u should. its a good movie.
eve... i know! there were many emotional moments during the movie. i looooved the grandfather though!

 

post a comment